Messages from list : cormas@cirad.fr

Choose a topic among the following archives :

Re: Tsunami simulation

New Message Reply Date view Thread view Subject view Author view

Subject: Re: Tsunami simulation
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 13:35:46 CET

Hi,

About research done dealing with how to exit an endangered place, or logistical aspects of rescue, I would mention the study that Manuel Winograd presented us about post-management of hurricane events in Honduras, Central America:

a.. Winograd M, S. Schillinger, A. Farrow, and I. Hernandez; 2000; Vulnerabilidad frente a desastres naturales en Honduras, available in http://gisweb.ciat.cgiar.org/Vulnerabilidad/index.htm
  b.. Winograd M, (2002) Natural Disasters in Honduras, TIEMPO, 43 (2):11-14.
  c.. Ziervogel G., C. Cabot, M. Winograd, L. Segnestam, K. Wilson, T. Downing, 2003, Vulnerability assessments and risk maps: do they help to protect the vulnerable? A case study of Honduras, Chapter 8, in Approaches to vulnerability: food systems and environments in crisis. Linda Stephen, Tom Downing, Atiq Rahman, (Editors), EARTHSCAN PUBLISHER, London, UK.
Although this study didn't follow a ComModian approach per say, it was participative enough to show that objective criteria, such as size of endangered population, didn't stand in front of subjective ones such as which "maire" has more political power to have his commune evacuated in priority.
Anyway, obviously more research in that field is needed, especially to help reduce inequality in front of natural disaster management.

Sincerely,

Aurélie

----- Original Message -----
  To: 'system-dynamics@world.std.com' ; 'cormas@cirad.fr'
  Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 11:30 AM
  Subject: Tsunami simulation

Dear all,

I believe all of you already know the Earthquake and Tsunami that hit my country Indonesia and others. This catastrophe makes the Indonesian cry. The following is the simulation of Tsunami in Aceh developed by a university in Indonesia.

http://tsunami2.ppk.itb.ac.id/aceh/simulasi_tsunami_aceh.htm

I am wondering how modellers can contribute to the rehabilitation and reconstruction of Aceh and other areas in the aftermath of the Tsunami. So if you have any related publications, I will be happy to read and share with my colleagues in Indonesia in particular.

Best regards,

herry purnomo

Indonesian citizen

New Message Reply Date view Thread view Subject view Author view

Back to home