Cormas random

Subject: Cormas random
From: Jean-Emmanuel Rougier (jean-emmanuel.rougier@lisode.com)
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 15:53:43 CEST

Hi All,

I do apologize in advance if my question is a newbie one, but as I am
totally new in the fantastic world of Cormas…

I am using the Cormas random procedure in order to have random numbers
(yes).

So, I use exactly the formula : (Cormas random*n) truncated.

To obtain uniform distribution of random numbers from the sequence
{0,1,2,…,n-1}

Of course, as Smalltalk is full of tricks for a newcomers that comes from
C/C++, I tested it.

And some time to time I obtain n (in my tests, 3 for 1000000 calls).

Which is totally impossible.

So…

Where is the trick?

Thanks !