agent-based modelling and simulation vs. multi-agent systems

Subject: agent-based modelling and simulation vs. multi-agent systems
From: Christophe Chevallier (christophe.chevallier@ensmp.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 17:19:37 CEST

Hello,

I have encountered in my readings the terms "Multi-agent system" and
"Agent-based modelling and simulation (ABMS)" (and even
"multi-agent-based modelling and simulation"). From a literal
understanding, I could think the term "multi-agent system" insists on
the interactions between agents, and "Agent-based modelling and
simulation" focuses on the individual modelling level as a way to
describe emergence in complex systems. However, emergence is studied in
multi-agent systems and interactions are studied in Agent-based
modelling and simulation. I also couldn't notice in my readings any
fundamental difference between the theories and concepts they were
refering to.

Can these terms be used indifferently? When to use one instead of the
other? Should it be understood that "Agent-based modelling and
simulation" is a process for studying "multi-agent systems"? Would it be
equivalent to use "Modelling and simulation of a multi-agent system"
instead of "Agent-based modelling and simulation".

Thank you for your help,

Christophe.