Messages from list : cormas@cirad.fr

Choose a topic among the following archives :

Technical issues for implementing my model

New Message Reply Date view Thread view Subject view Author view

Subject: Technical issues for implementing my model
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 09:21:36 CEST

Dear all,

I need suggestions from this group on some technical issues about my resaerch project. First I guess, i should shed a brief light on my project.

Saguenay St. Lawrence marine park (SSLMP) is the first salt water marine conservation area established in Canada. Many whale watching excursions and other activities related to tourism, sports and economy generate a very intensive maritime traffic in the park, which is likely to disturb the fauna considerably. In order to minimize disturbances from the traffic and to protect habitat and species, the park authority is working on a project to impose zoning regulations which would limit in time and space access to certain zones of the park. I will be developing a multi-agent model for the park authority which will be used as a decision support system.

Instead of raising any confusion, I will post one question each time. Here is the first one:

The study area is around 6,000 sq. km in size. I suppose the model will be represented as raster dataset. The resolution (cell size) of the model will be less than or equal to 100m X 100m. Is it technically feasible to handle such a large dataset in Cormas environment?

I know GIS dataset can to exported and imported back into CORMAS to develop the environment for the model. Is it possible to use real coordinates (longitude and latitude) of GIS datasets? Or I have to use only (X, Y) coordinates of the environment to refer any point in the environment. I might need to use GPS data from Marine Park. In that sense, is there any way to work with GPS dataset?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Sk. Morshed Anwar

Geocomputing Laboratory

Department of Geography

University of Montreal

Canada

New Message Reply Date view Thread view Subject view Author view

Back to home