Extracting variable values from distant cells

Subject: Extracting variable values from distant cells
From: Veronica Crespo (verocrespoperez@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 20:12:17 CEST

Dear colleagues,

We used Cormas to build a cellular automaton of a pest which disperses by
jumping from a cell to a distant one depending on variables of both the
arrival cell and the departure cell. Cells of interest can be anywhere in
our grid depending on local variables.

This is where it gets tricky because whereas we know how to take into
account variables of our departure cell i, we cannot find a function that
permits us to extract the variables from far away cells in each time step.
We need some function in Cormas that would allow us to, being in a
cell i*,*know and use the variables (in our case a number in a layer)
from another
cell situated elsewhere in the grid in each specific time step.

So we are open for suggestions if someone has done something similar or
might know how to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Veronica