useful tip :managing differences between different versions of your model

Subject: useful tip :managing differences between different versions of your model
From: Geraldine Abrami (Geraldine.Abrami@cirad.fr)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 12:01:20 CEST

Hi everybody,

I've finally just found out a simple way to sort out the mess I hade
done with my model, so I share it with cormas users cos I think it might
be useful!

With being very unorganized, I had 3 st files containing "parallel"
versions of my model, with different changes from an initial "clean"
model made in the different versions.
And I needed to get to a new clean versions that includes all these
different changes, which means that I needed a tool that could extract
the differences between my st files, cos my model is already quite big.

Maybe you already know it but you can manage this operation very simply
with the "Change List" tool of VisualWorks.

Load the "cleaner" version of your model you have in Cormas.
Then open the "change list" tool (Tools>Change List in the main vw window).
Now you can read the differences between the version of the model that
you've loaded in Cormas and any st file in the change list : press
"File>Read Different Code From Files" in the change list menu. You'll be
prompt out to choose a file in your model directory. Choose the st file
you want to compare. It will load in the list only the methods that
differs from one version to the other!
And now choosing to replay or not these changes, you can serenely work
on creating a new nice and clean version of your model!

Cheers,

Geraldine